Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

History 4: Cleaning & Will the Engine Start?

Written by J.
March 2, 2010 - afternoon

After sitting there for a while, I finally made my way to check out the batteries. There was one house and one starter, but I wasn't sure which was which until I tracked the cables. While checking things out, I also checked to see how much water were in the batteries - both were way down. So off to the supermarket to pick up some distilled water and see if they might have any Murphy's Mystery Oil - that the tugboat captain was telling me about. Turns out they had both! Back to the boat.
By this time, it is starting to get dark, but I manage to fill the starter battery - I figure it was empty, not a good sign - but thought we'd see if it could recover at all. This battery was plugged into a small solar panel (like the type you might see in a car window). In the fading light, I checked the engine's oil - black, black, black. Good sign - because I'd been warned that if it was gray, water had likely gotten into the engine. I pored a little Mystery Oil into the top of the engine, and spun the flywheel around with the hand-starter. My intent wasn't to even try to start the engine, but merely to start lubricating the engine. I checked the fuel - miraculously, it looked good, too. Then I went home.

That weekend, we all came down to the boat. The kids and L. were excited to look around and explore. I started work on the engine - see what I could do. This time I brought my multimeter, too, to check the batteries. Both were dead.
While I was working on this project, L. and kids started cleaning up the decks. We quickly realized one of the issues with the cockpit, was that any water on the deck just sat there unless it could make it into the foot well, and the foot well drains. Hmm ... something else to work on. But the priority remained on getting the engine going, and checking the sails so we could get the boat out of the harbor and up to Blaine.
After a bit of working on the engine - lubricating the engine some more and changing the oil - I decided to see if I could hand start it. Over the course of the week, I had talked to a friend who said he knew someone with a Sabb 10 horse engine, who always hand started it. I spun and spun and spun the engine, switched the compression switch ... nothing. Gasp. Spun the engine some more, faster, faster, faster, faster - reach for the switch ... nothing. Gasp Gasp Gasp! "That guy must have been really fit!" I gave it one more try. Spun the engine again. This time I tried to get it going as fast as I could - I thought I had the flywheel spinning faster than I had up to that point, keep it spinning while flipping the compression switch ... nothing.  At this point, I thought I was going to die. I lay there panting.
Then the wind calmed down. It was close to time to head for home, but ... why not give the sails a raise? Up went the main. Everything looks ok, although there is a missing batten, and a broken one. The sail looks warn and we wondered if it was the original mainsail. Down it came to be furled and covered. Up went the staysail in the fading light - wow! The sail looks brand new! After furling the staysail, it was time to head for home.

We were becoming very aware that not having the boat near by, means it was taking longer to get her ready to go. But during the next week, I bought another starter battery to replace the dead one that we brought with us. I also picked up a bruce type anchor to attach to the 160 feet of chain in case we were to need it on the trip. The chandlery at which I bought the anchor didn't have a shackle to fit it. So, I tried the Bellingham favorite Hardware Sales - but even their shackles didn't fit: either the pin was right and the shank wouldn't fit around the anchor, or the shank would fit but the pin wouldn't. Hmm. I'm betting that this particular anchor needed a metric shackle, which no one in the area stocks. I also needed to license the boat.

The family had plans for the weekend, but I managed to zip down one afternoon. After installing the new starter battery, I crossed my fingers, turned the key, waited for the glow plug with a slow count to 30 (just in case), and turned it all the way. ... She started right up! Chuff - Chuff - Chuff ... Great news! I double checked that the boat was securely tied up and put her in gear: forward, reverse - there is really no "neutral" on a variable pitch, the blades just feather out. But it was good to know that the the prop doesn't stop spinning. New rule: Keep All Lines Away from the Water While Engine Is On! I let the engine warm up, while I gathered the ship's papers and looking at the clock, shut the engine off and dashed for the Department of Licensing. With luck, I'd get there before they closed for the day.

I made it, and not only that, but the personnel were very helpful with everything! Whew.

Got to think about what to do about the shackle, but it's time to head home.


No comments:

Post a Comment